Programming rarely happens in vacuo. When I am writing code, at least, the internet and its various tutorials help me get the job done. I hope that the info found here may be of some help to those who work like I do.
If you like what I have written, feel free to disseminate these links (please credit my name if you do). Enjoy!
(Also see below, Exercise 2, for some useful exercises)
Photometry (with an emphasis on infrared)
Spectroscopy (hopefully coming soon)
(Also see below, Exercise 1, for some exercises in using FITS images)
(Also see below, Exercise 3, for a primer on reducing SPIRE IR data)
Observational Astronomy Primers
Future planned tutorials – stay tuned!
- Regridding/reprojecting maps
- statistical tests, goodness-of-fit diagnostics, etc. in python
- convolving/smoothing data cubes
- making all-sky plots
- changing coordinates/epochs/etc. – pyephem
- making figures for LaTeX (caveats with imshow_affine, rasterization, etc.)
- making animations with python
- overviews of spectroscopy (and updates to photometry guide)